Thursday, June 28, 2007

So this is six months old...

One of the things I love about coming home is that I get to catch up on all of the movies I've missed and see what's out right now. Usually, I'm too busy to see many movies at all. So, in celebration of the art of film, here are some short reviews of what I've been seeing:

Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End

I think the Ask a Ninja ninja is right about this one. It's basically the same as the second one, but it makes less sense.

Shrek the Third

I've never been a big fan of the Shrek movies. The first one was way too talky, like a bad episode of Friends. And the whole fractured fairy tale thing has been done to death. This one has its funny moments, but if you've seen the trailer you've seen them all.

Flushed Away

I'm a big fan of anything Aardman Studios puts out, and this one was clever and fun. Even though the movie is CGI, it still had a lot of the charm of the stop-motion animation in Aardman's other movies. I loved the albino lab rat turned henchman and the singing slugs. The movie moved too fast, though--you don't get to catch your breath until more than halfway through the movie.

The Devil Wears Prada

I watched this movie for two reasons: Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep. It's incredible to see Streep create the character of Miranda Priestley, especially in one scene where we see the character's vulnerability.

Music and Lyrics

This movie isn't laugh-out-loud funny, but you get to see Hugh Grant do the Hugh Grant persona and Drew Barrymore be completely insane. The actress playing Cora, the world famous pop diva, is great; not only does she sing and dance, but she portrays the character as sexy, innocent, demanding and spiritual, all at the same time. And I'm still humming the songs from the movie.

Brother Bear

I had avoided this one because I assumed all of the Disney movies of the last few years were crap. But I enjoyed this one: the animation was beautiful, and the moose brothers were hilarious.

The Last Holiday

I watched this one because Queen Latifah is awesome. Too bad she couldn't star in a better movie. It took a couple tries to get through it. Lame.

Happy Feet

Good animation, fun music.


No comments: